Bullet Chart Template for Excel
Tired of Complicated Dashboard Gauges and Radial Meters?
Bullet Charts provide astounding representation of analysis with minimal usage of space, and they are quite easy to read!
Bullet Chart Overview
Developed by Stephen Few, the Bullet Chart was inspired from a traditional bar chart. It is used as an alternative to Dashboard Gauges and Radial Meters, as it removes excessive clutter in showcasing your current performance level.
The Bullet Chart offers a single measure, which relates to defined quantitative ranges and declares its qualitative state. It then displays contextual output of qualitative ranges pertaining to performance levels of Low, Mid and High. These ranges are displayed in hue variations, which makes them readable by those who are color blind.
Create a Bullet Chart in Three Easy Steps with QI Macros!
- First, open the Bullet Chart template located in the "Chart Templates" drop-down menu. Once opened, you will find both a Horizontal and a Vertical layout:
- Determine your Low (poor), Mid (average) and High (excellent) performance levels, along with your Target Value.
- Input your Actual Performance Level, which in the example above reflects your level is not only High, but it has also surpassed your Target Value.
* Please note that the "Y" value found in the Horizontal Bullet Chart changes the alignment of the "Actual" bar on the y-axis, if updated.
Create a Bullet Chart with 4 Levels
- Insert data for the new level:
- Copy/Paste new data into your Bullet Chart (copy cells, click on the chart and paste - Ctrl + V) :
- Change Series Chart Type to "Clustered Bar (horizontal bullet) or Clustered Column (vertifical bullet) :
- Next, right-click on the new Bar and Change Colors:
- Then, right-click on the chart, click "Select Data", and move up to correct place:
- Right-click on the new bar and select "Format Data Series":
- Lastly, the change "Series Overlap" to 100% and "Gap" to 50%
- Speedometer Template available in QI Macros
- Other Quality Improvement Tools available in QI Macros
- Seven Quality Control Tools in QI Macros