Looking for an easy way to draw Flow Charts?
QI Macros has a Ready-Made Flow Chart Template for Excel!
Why it Matters: Use a flow chart to define and document your processes.
You don't need expensive flow chart software
There are lots of flow chart software packages but did you know you can easily draw a flow chart using Excel's drawing tools? QI Macros Add-in for Excel includes two flow chart templates to help you get started:
Swimlane Flow Chart
How to Create a Flow Chart
- Using square Post-it® notes (use squares as activities, rotated into a diamond, they represent a decision), begin listing activities (verb-noun) and decisions (questions?).
- Once you have all of the notes on a sheet of easel paper, order them, from the first to the last.
- Then identify the group or department that does each set of steps on the top of the flowchart. Realign the activities to fit under the appropriate group.
- Identify the major steps of the process on the left side (planning, doing, checking, acting to improve). Realign the activities to coincide with the main steps of the process.
- Use arrows to connect the activities and decisions. (We found Sticky Notes shaped like arrows on Amazon.)
Haven't you waited long enough?
Start creating your Flowchart template in just minutes.
Download a free 30-day trial. Get the Flowchart template now!
The Flowchart template is one of many tools included in QI Macros add-in for Excel.
QI Macros adds a new tab to Excel's menu, making it easy to find any tool you need. If you can't locate a tool, use the find tools feature on the far right side of QI Macros menu.