Value Stream Mapping Right in Excel
Easy to Use Value Stream Map and VSM Symbols
The purpose of a Value Stream Map is to analyze value-added and non-value added activities and delays. Value Stream Maps use a group of common symbols.
QI Macros Add-in for Excel Makes Value Stream Mapping as Easy as 1-2-3
To access QI Macros Value Stream Mapping Template and Symbols, click on the QI Macros Menu » Lean Tools » Value Stream Mapping:
Once the template opens, you have several options:
- VSM Text: Input your data into each cell in the spreadsheet and then click a button to automatically create a value stream map.
- Symbols: Inventory of VSM symbols to copy and paste into any Value Stream Map
- Value Stream Examples 1, 2, and Emergency Room to use as a starting point to save time.
- Spaghetti Diagram
- Product Family Matrix: Used to identify product groups that are based upon shared processes.
The template is pre-populated with values to give you an idea of what to input in each cell. Use the Clear button to delete the contents of each cell and the Reset button to re-populate the sample text.
Each step in a value stream map represents an operation that is performed on the product. The operation is generally performed in one location with a clear beginning and ending point. Value stream maps are broad in scope and are not meant to describe individual tasks like a flowchart.
For each step in the Value Stream Map:
- Briefly describe the Process or Work in Process step in column B (e.g. Take Order, Paint Door, Measure Board)
- Estimate the amount of Inventory on hand in each WIP area in column C
- Indicate if the step is Value Added or Non-Value Added from a customers standpoint in column D
- Input the Cycle Time for Value Added and Non-Value Added steps in columns E and F, respectively
- Input the number of people it takes to perform the process in column G
- Input Changeover Time (time from completion of step for one product to beginning of step for the next product) in column H
- Input % of Uptime in column I (percentage of time process is available)
- Input % of Waste or scrap in column J
- Input Available sec in column K (amount of time available, in seconds, within a shift or process)
Once you have populated all of the fields, click the Create VSM Button and QI Macros will draw a value stream map for you. Any rows with values will be shown on the Value Stream Map.
Tip: Adding and deleting items from the input matrix:
- do not delete rows - leave cells blank instead of deleting the row
- the template has room for 27 steps. If you need to add more steps, you will need to copy and paste symbols on the value stream map
Click on the Symbols tab to access Value Stream Mapping Symbols and Icons to add to your VSM.
Open one of three examples and edit to create your own.