Use a Block Diagram to Design Reliability of Systems
There are three types of block diagrams:
- System - physical relationship of major system components
- Functional - Categorize system components according to the function they provide.
- Reliability - depicts the effect of a component failure on the system's function.
To Create a Block Diagram
- Lay out a diagram of parallel and serial components
- Identify probability of failure of each component (value 0-1).
- Calculate parallel probabilities. (a+b-a*b)
- Multiply serial component probabilities (a*b)
- Use parallel parts to increase reliability.