MODAPTS Excel Template for Time and Motion Analysis
MODular Arrangement of Predetermined Time Standards
This MODAPTS Template automates the analysis of time and motion to develop reliable production standards on assembly lines. To learn more about MODAPTS visit https://modapts.org/.
MODAPTS breaks any process down into motions that can be coded as a string of modifications. Each mod is 0.129 seconds:
4(W5) M4G4 4(W5) M4P10
Most MODAPTS coders can do this quickly. Calculating the times is hard, so that's what the MODAPTS template does for you.
QI Macros MODAPTS Template
QI Macros is an easy to use add-in for Excel that installs a new menu on Excel's tool bar. To use the MODAPTs template:
- Click on QI Macros menu, Lean Tools and then MODAPTS Calculator:
- The template will open with some fields pre-populated for illustration purposes. Click on the "Clear Form" button before inputting your own data. Input descriptions, common elements (*) and options (1-2-3-4), and MODAPTS string in the columns as shown below.
Put 1/1 in numerator/denominator unless an action needs to be spread across all units (e.g., Element 8 - Restock Box...) Don't worry about the Mods, Minutes or Seconds. The template will calculate them for you. Add as many rows as you need for your process:
For Example: STEP, GET OUTER FRAME DOOR, STEP BACK PLACE IN FIXTURE in MODAPTS code is:
- 4(W5) - Four Walking steps with 5 mods of time (5 * 0.129 seconds)
[body movement like bend, walk]
- M4G4 - Movement (see diagram below-finger, hand, forearm, bicep = 4 mods),
Get (grasp outer frame door) - 4 mods
- 4(W5) - Four Walking steps with 5 mods (return)
- M4P10 - Movement with 4 mods. Place with 10 mods of time
- 4(T0.025) - Four actions of time 0.025 minutes