MODAPTS Excel Template for Time and Motion Analysis
The MODAPTS Template automates the analysis of time and motion to develop reliable production standards on assembly lines. MODAPTS stands for MODular Arrangement of Predetermined Time Standards. To learn more about MODAPTS, click here.
MODAPTS breaks any process down into motions that can be coded as a string of modifications. Each mod is 0.129 seconds:
4(W5) M4G4 4(W5) M4P10
Most MODAPTS coders can do this quickly. Calculating the times is hard, so that's what the MODAPTS template does for you.
To use the MODAPTS Template:
- Open the template found in the Lean Tools drop-down menu:
- Next, put descriptions and MODAPTS strings in columns as shown below. Descriptions, common elements (*) and options (1-2-3-4), and MODAPTS string. Put 1/1 in numerator/denominator unless an action needs to be spread across all units (e.g., Element 8 - Restock Box...) Don't worry about the Mods, Minutes or Seconds. The template will calculate them for you. Add as many rows as you need for your process:
For Example: STEP, GET OUTER FRAME DOOR, STEP BACK PLACE IN FIXTURE in MODAPTS code is:
- 4(W5) - Four Walking steps with 5 mods of time (5 * 0.129 seconds)
[body movement like bend, walk]
- M4G4 - Movement (see diagram below-finger, hand, forearm, bicept = 4 mods),
Get (grasp outer frame door) - 4 mods
- 4(W5) - Four Walking steps with 5 mods (return)
- M4P10 - Movement with 4 mods. Place with 10 mods of time
- 4(T0.025) - Four actions of time 0.025 minutes
Add as many options as you want, and extend the formulas to calculate times for each one.