Cause Effect Matrix for Excel
Performing Root Cause Analysis
The fishbone or Ishikawa diagram is one way to show cause-effects (a.k.a., root cause analysis-RCA). Another method uses a cause-effect Matrix.
QI Macros Cause Effect Matrix Template
Cause Effect Process
- Identify the key process outputs, requirements or effects. These are also known as critical to quality (CTQs).
Optional: Add Upper and Lower Specification Limits (USL/LSL) and target to each output.
- Use a weighting factor (e.g., 1-5) to identify the importance of each output to the customer.
- For each process step, identify the key process inputs (i.e., causes).
- Then use a weighting factor (e.g., 1-low, 3-medium, 9-high) to show the impact or correlation of the input (cause) on each output (effect).
- The resulting total impact will be shown in the far right column and the ranking/priority of each input.