Ask 5 Whys to Get to the Root Cause
A problem well stated is a problem half-solved.
- Charles Kettering, Inventor
How to Analyze Root Causes Using an Ishikawa Diagram:
- Define the Problem Statement. Your problem statement comes from the big bar on your Pareto chart.
Put it in the head of the fish and put major causes at the end of the major bones. Major causes might include:
- Processes, machines, materials, measurement, people, environment
- Steps of a process (step 1, step 2, etc.)
- Whatever makes sense
- Ask 5 Whys. Begin with the most likely main cause and for each cause, ask "5 Whys."
- Find the Root Cause(s): Circle one-to-five ROOT causes (at the end of the "5 whys" chain.)
- Verify your logic by reversing your 5 Whys questions.
Automated Fishbone Template for Excel
Getting from the Five Why's to a fishbone diagram can be time consuming.
That's why we created QI Macros Automated Fishbone Template. Just type in your 5 Why's and then click on the Create Fishbone button.
QI Macros will create a fishbone diagram in seconds.
- Types of Fishbone Diagrams
- Customizing QI Macros Fishbone Template
- Love Bug Diagram for Root Cause Analysis
Why Choose QI Macros Over Other Six Sigma Software?
- Only $299 USD - less with quantity discounts
- No annual subscription fees
- Free technical support
Easy to Use
- Works right in Excel
- Create a chart in seconds
- Easy to customize & share charts
Proven and Trusted
- More than 100,000 users
- In More than 80 countries
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus free