Evaluates the feasibility and effectiveness of countermeasures to reduce or eliminate root causes
Like ecological weed prevention, a countermeasure prevents problems from ever taking root in a process. A good countermeasure not only eliminates the root cause but also prevents other weeds from growing.
Countermeasures Matrix Template in the QI Macros
QI Macros Countermeasures Matrix includes a Feasibility - Effectivess Plot
This chart plots the ranking values in columns C and E:
Process to Complete the Counter Measures Matrix
- Transfer the problem statement and the root causes from your root cause analysis (Fishbone diagram or Ishikawa diagram).
- For each root cause, identify one to three broad countermeasures (what to do).
- Rank the effectiveness of each countermeasure (Low, Medium, or High).
- Identify the specific actions (how to do it) for implementing each countermeasure.
- Rank the feasibility (time, cost) of each specific action (Low, Medium, or High).
- Decide which specific actions to implement.
*Note: A Countermeasures Matrix/Prioritization Matrix can be used in place of an Effort-Impact Quadrant.