Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test in Excel
One of Many Tests in QI Macros Statistical Excel Add-in
When to Use the Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test
A Wilcoxon Signed Rank test compares the differences between two paired samples to determine if the data is symmetrical. If so, the median difference would be close to zero. If not, the data is asymmetrical. Consider the following example.
Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test Example Using QI Macros Template
- To open the template, click the QI Macros menu > Stat Templates > Wilcoxon
- Next, input your data into the yellow shaded areas.
- QI Macros performs the calculations for you.
Imagine a credit union would like to loan more money. And that they think having more detailed information on the loan application results in larger loans. (From Applied Statistics, John Neder.) Using data from 20 loan officers on case studies with limited and detailed information, they determine the amount of money loaned:
Hypothesis Test: Since p (0.001) is less than alpha (0.05) reject the null hypothesis that the two levels of detail result in the same loan amount. So, if the credit union wants to loan more money, get more detail.
The same type of test can be applied to one-sample and compared to an expected median. The following example compares light bulb life to a median of 2,500 hours:
Hypothesis Test Results: At alpha = 0.05 we reject the null hypothesis because p (0.027) < 0.05. The bulb life, in this case, has a median greater than 2,500.
Why Choose QI Macros Statistical Software for Excel?
- Only $299 USD - less with quantity discounts
- No annual fees
- Free Technical Support
Easy to Use
- Works Right in Excel
- Interprets Results for You
- Accurate Results Without Worry
Proven and Trusted
- 100,000 Users in 80 Countries
- Celebrating 20th Anniversary
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus Free