Paired t-Test in Excel
When to Use the Paired t-Test
In the constant quest to reduce variation and improve products, companies need to evaluate different alternatives. A t-Test using two paired samples compares two dependent sets of test data. It helps determine if the means (i.e., averages) are different from each other.
Weight Loss Paired t-Test Example
If a diet claims to cause more than a 10 lb weight loss over a six month period, you could design a test using several individuals before and after weights. The samples are "paired" by each individual. You might want to know if the diet truly delivers greater than a 10 lb weight loss.
To conduct a Paired t-Test Using QI Macros for Excel, follow these steps:
- Input your data into Excel, then click and drag over it to select it
- Next click on QI Macros Menu, Statistical Tools and select t-Test: paired two sample for means
- QI Macros will prompt for a significance level (default = 0.05):
- And a hypothesized mean difference (in this case 10 lbs):
What's Cool about QI Macros Paired t-Test?
Interprets the results for you: QI Macros will compare the p-value (0.429) to the significance level (0.05) and indicate that you "Cannot Reject the Null Hypothesis because p>0.05" and that the "Means are the same."
Draws a chart to help you visualize the results: QI Macros paired t test results include a box plot which helps you see the difference in means (color change line in the box) and the variation (height of the box and length of the whiskers.)
Interactive Results: QI Macros lets you change the significance level and Hypothesized Difference in Means to see what impact those changes have on your results. See red arrows in the image above.
Watch a QI Macros Paired t-Test Example in the Video
Why Choose QI Macros Statistical Software for Excel?
- Only $279 USD - less with quantity discounts
- No annual fees
- Free Technical Support
Easy to Use
- Works Right in Excel
- Interprets Results for You
- Accurate Results Without Worry
Proven and Trusted
- 100,000 Users in 80 Countries
- Celebrating 20th Anniversary
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus Free