Test of a Proportion in Excel
QI Macros Proportion Test Template for Excel
Use our proportions test template to compute a confidence interval and perform a hypothesis test of the proportion.
QI Macros Add-in for Excel installs a new tab on Excel's menu.
Just click on QI Macros menu to open a number of Statistical Templates.
Test of Proportion Example Using QI Macros template:
Let's say a manufacturer claims that his products are less than 3% defective. You can take a sample of the products and determine whether or not the actual percent defective is consistent with his claim.
- If the sample data isn't summarized, use PivotTables to summarize the trials and successes
- To open the template, click on QI Macros -> Stat Templates -> 1-2 Proportion Tests:
- Enter desired proportion in A3. The number should be between 0 and 1. (e.g., 3% is 0.03)
- Enter number of trials in B3 (100 products)
- Enter number of successes in C3 (e.g., defects in 100 products)
- Enter confidence Level in E1 (.95 = 95%)
- Null hypothesis is H1=H0 (sample proportion = proportion). p values are calculated via direct and normal approximation methods for H1<>H0, H1>H0 and H1<H0.
- If Cell H3:H5 (or J3:J5) is green: Cannot reject the null hypothesis
- If Cell H3:H5 is red: Reject the null hypothesis
In this example with five defects in 100 samples, you cannot reject the null hypothesis.
Why Choose QI Macros Statistical Software for Excel?
- Only $299 USD - less with quantity discounts
- No annual fees
- Free Technical Support
Easy to Use
- Works Right in Excel
- Interprets Results for You
- Accurate Results Without Worry
Proven and Trusted
- 100,000 Users in 80 Countries
- Celebrating 20th Anniversary
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus Free