Test of a Proportion in Excel
QI Macros Proportion Test Template for Excel
Use our proportions test template to compute a confidence interval and perform a hypothesis test of the proportion.
Test of Proportion Template:
Let's say a manufacturer claims that his products are less than 3% defective. You can take a sample of the products and determine whether or not the actual percent defective is consistent with his claim.
- If the sample data isn't summarized, use PivotTables to summarize the trials and successes
- To open the template, click on QI Macros > Stat Templates > 1-2 Proportion Tests:
- Enter desired proportion in A3. The number should be between 0 and 1. (e.g., 3% is 0.03)
- Enter number of trials in B3 (100 products)
- Enter number of successes in C3 (e.g., defects in 100 products)
- Enter confidence Level in E1 (.95 = 95%)
- Null hypothesis is H1=H0 (sample proportion = proportion). p values are calculated via direct and normal approximation methods for H1<>H0, H1>H0 and H1<H0.
- If Cell H3:H5 (or J3:J5) is green: Cannot reject the null hypothesis (accept the null hypothesis)
- If Cell H3:H5 is red: Reject the null hypothesis
In this example with five defects in 100 samples, you cannot reject the null hypothesis (accept the null hypothesis).
Statistical Templates on QI Macros menu
Why Choose QI Macros Statistical Software for Excel?
Easy to Use
- Works Right in Excel
- Interprets p-values for You
- Accurate No-Worry Results
- Free Training Anytime
Proven and Trusted
- 100,000 Users in 80 Countries
- Celebrating 20th Anniversary
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus Free
- Only $349 USD
Quantity Discounts Available
- No annual fees
- Free Technical Support