What is Correlation?
How to Conduct Correlation Analysis in Excel
Imagine that you'd like to know if a person's weight is related to their systolic blood pressure. Does it increase or decrease with weight?
To understand and explore the linear relationships between two or more sets of numbers, Excel provides tools to analyze the variance (i.e., covariance) and relationships (i.e., co-relation) between two or more sets of numbers.
Here is an example of correlation analysis in Excel using QI Macros add-in.
1. Select the data
Select two or more columns of data:
This sample data is found in QI Macros Test Data > statistical.xlsx > Correlation-Covariance tab
2. Click on QI Macros, Statistical Tools, Regression and Other Statistics and then Correlation:
3. Evaluate the Correlation Results:
Correlation Results will always be between -1 and 1.
- -1 to < 0 = Negative Correlation (more of one means less of another)
- 0 = No Correlation
- > 0 to 1 = Positive Correlation (more of one means more of another)
If the correlation is greater than 0.80 (or less than -0.80), there is a strong relationship.
In this example:
- Sample 1 and Sample 2 have a positive correlation (.414)
- Sample 1 and Sample 3 have a negative correlation (-.07)
- Sample 2 and Sample 3 have a negative correlation (-.608)
If you'd like more information, run regression analysis on the data. Correlation is the "Multiple R" in the results.
Please note that the straight lines represent the Upper and Lower Prediction Intervals, while the more curved lines are the Upper and Lower Confidence Intervals
Confidence Intervals provide a view into the uncertainty when estimating the mean, while Prediction Intervals account for variation in the Y values around the mean.
The 95% and 99% Confidence Levels reference when your alpha value is set at .05 (95%) or .01 (99%). This provides you with information on how the confidence level can impact your results, depending on where alpha is set.
Why Choose QI Macros Statistical Software for Excel?
- Only $299 USD - less with quantity discounts
- No annual fees
- Free Technical Support
Easy to Use
- Works Right in Excel
- Interprets Results for You
- Accurate Results Without Worry
Proven and Trusted
- 100,000 Users in 80 Countries
- Celebrating 20th Anniversary
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus Free