Add Median to Chart
QI Macros has to go through many gyrations to get Excel to draw a good box plot. The values for the boxes are not the actual Q1, Median and Q3. They are the height of the box, not the actual value. To show the Q1, Q3 and/or the median, you will want to add another data series to the chart as follows:
To add the median label to the chart:
- Select and copy the Median, Q1, and/or Q3 values from the data sheet
- Paste the Data into the Box and Whisker Plot
- Now you have a marker for the data point. To add a label for the value: right click on the new point on the chart (in-between the two boxes) and click Add Data Labels:
- Here is what the box should look like.
- Next you can use Excel's formatting capabilities to hide the marker and to change the text to white.
Change marker type to noneChange text to White
Here is what the final box looks like