Add Median to Box and Whisker Plot
QI Macros has to go through many gyrations to get Excel to draw a good box plot. The values for the boxes are not the actual Q1, Median and Q3. They are the height of the box, not the actual value. To show the Q1, Q3 and/or the median, you will want to add another data series to the chart as follows:
To add the median label to the chart:
*Included in the April 2023 release of QI Macros*
- Select your data, and create a Box & Whisker from the "Box, Dot & Scatter Plot" drop-down menu - QI Macros does the rest!
*For all versions of QI Macros prior to the April 2023 release*
- Select and copy the Median, Q1, and/or Q3 values from the data sheet:
- Paste the data into the Box and Whisker Plot:
- Now you have a marker for the data point. To add a label for the value, right-click on the new point on the chart (in-between the two boxes) and click Add Data Labels:
- Here is what the box should look like:
- Next, you can use Excel's formatting capabilities to hide the marker and to change the text to white.
Change marker type to noneChange text to White
Here is what the final box looks like:
Excel Box Plot with Median Added
Stop Struggling with Box Whisker Plots!
Start creating your Box Whisker Plots in just minutes.
Download a free 30-day trial. Get Box Whisker Plots now!
- How to draw and Box and Whisker Plot in Excel
- Compare QI Macros Box Plot Maker to our Competitors
- Box and Whisker Case Study
Reasons to Choose QI Macros to Generate Box Plots
Fast and Easy to Use
- Works right in Excel
- Create charts in seconds
- Easy to customize & share charts
- Free Training Anytime
Proven and Trusted
- More than 100,000 users
- In More than 80 countries
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus free
- Only $349 USD
Quantity Discounts Available
- No annual subscription fees
- Free technical support