QI Macros Technical Support
Most Common Support Questions - Excel 2019 for Mac
Installation Instructions and Troubleshooting
QI Macros does not Appear in Excel after Install, or after Excel and/or OS Updates
This is because Microsoft has not loaded QI Macros in Excel, as an add-in. This does not mean the QI Macros install files have not been placed on your computer, it just means that you need to add QI Macros using the following file:
Download, open, enable and select the "Click Here to Add QI-Macros" button in the following file: Add-QIMacros.xlsm
- Once you have done so, press OK.
- Completely quit out of Excel by selecting the "Excel" drop-down menu next to the Apple icon and select, "Quit Excel."
- Reopen Excel and create a blank spreadsheet - do you now see the QI Macros menu load in your Excel sub-ribbon? If not, see manual instructions below.
Manual way to install/restore QI Macros Add-in:
- Open Excel, click Tools from the Excel ribbon and select “Excel Add-Ins.” Do you see QI Macros listed as an add-in?
- If not, click the “Browse” button and in the top-right corner of the Finder window, click in the Search option and search "This Mac" for the qimacros.xlam file. Were you able to find it?
- If so, select the qimacros.xlam file (even if it is greyed out) and press “Open” – QI Macros should now appear as an add-in in your Excel Add-Ins list. If it does, press “OK”.
- QI Macros menu will load into Excel and should now appear in your Excel sub-ribbon.
- 16.37 (20051002) | Released: May 10, 2020 (Release History)
To check which version you currently have installed, go into Excel and select the "Excel" drop-down menu > About Excel. If you are not up to date with the most recent version of Excel, check for updates within Excel by selecting the "Help" drop-down menu and choosing "Check for Updates."
1. Completely close out of Excel.
Don't just close a file; completely exit/quit out of Excel.
2. Download and run the QI Macros Mac Installation File.
- Open the QIMacros folder, then the Mac folder, and double-click the "QIMacrosMac.zip" file:
- Next, select Ctrl-Click-Open on the "QIMacrosMac" file:
- If you receive a message saying the install cannot be opened:
- Go to the Apple icon in the top left corner of your Mac device and select "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "General" and choose, "Open Anyway":
- Next, select "OK" and follow the prompts. Select "Enable Macros" when prompted.
- or -
3. Start Excel—look for the QI Macros tab on Excel's menu:
No QI Macros Menu? Click the Mac Troubleshooting Link Below:
If you installed a trial or a purchased version and it immediately says the version is "Expired", this is because Microsoft Offce has pending updates to either your Excel, the AutoUpdater, or both.
To check if you have any pending updates, open Excel, create a blank spreadsheet, select the Help drop-down menu and click, "Check for Updates." If there are any pending updates to your Excel or AutoUpdater, complete said updates. Once done, completely quit out of Excel and re-open - the QI Macros should now show as a "Licensed" version.
This is because Microsoft has released an update package for Excel 2019 for Macs, that causes Excel to crash, when running QI Macros.
If this is occuring, check that there are no more pending updates within Excel by going to the Help menu and selecting "Check for Updates."
Note: If there are pending updates for the "Microsoft AutoUpdater," make necessary updates:
Once completed, go back to the Help menu and again select, "Check for Updates."
To open Excel in Safe Mode, hold down on the "Shift" key while clicking on your Excel icon.
You can also contact our technical support: email@example.com or 303.756.9144.
if you try to start Excel from the Dock, recent releases cause Excel to crash with QI Macros installed.
(Note: this does not happen in all versions of OSX. High Sierra and Yosemite seem to have a problem.)
- Double click on an Excel file (e.g., cchart.xlsx from QI Macros Test Data) and Excel will start normally. (Weird huh?)
- In Preferences-General check the Workbook Gallery option. This will allow you to start Excel from the Dock.
Compatible with Macintosh OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and more recent Operating Systems
Compatible with these Microsoft versions of Office & Excel for the Mac:
- Excel 2016, 2019 and Office 365 - make sure the latest service paks are loaded.
Excel 2016 and 2019 - can only be used with OS X 10.10 and newer.
Excel 2011 - can only be used with OS X 10.5.8 through macOS 10.13.14 (High Sierra), and QI Macros version June 2018 or earlier.
Excel 2008 - does not support macro code so only the QI Macros fill-in-the-blank-templates work with this version of Excel for the Mac.
If you receive the following message when installing the QI Macros, it is due to a security restriction:
To install the QI Macros, press ctrl + click on the install image and select Open:
If this doesn't work, you can also go to your System Preferences and select, Security & Privacy:
Change the setting from, "Allow applications downloaded from: Mac App Store and identified developers" to, "Anywhere."
Note: You may have to unlock the settings (bottom left) to allow this change.
Once completed, close Excel and re-run the installation. When the install is finished, open Excel - you will find the QI Macros menu in the Excel ribbon.
Please note: If you have recently installed or are using OS Sierra or High Sierra, Mac has disabled the "Anywhere" option. With that, if you are not able to install QI Macros, go to your Applications folder > Utilities > Terminal > and input sudo spctl --master-disable. Press enter and then input your password – this provides the “Anywhere” option under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > “Allow apps downloaded from:” portion of your Mac device.
Once the "Anywhere" option has been enabled, re-run the QI Macros install with Excel completely closed. When finished, open Excel - you should see the QI Macros menu in your Excel ribbon.
If the QI Macros menu does not appear, contact firstname.lastname@example.org - we will need to send you the manual install files and instructions.
QI Macros files are loaded in:
Excel 2019 - Macintosh HD : Users : User : Library : Group Containers : UBF8T346G9 : Office : User Content : Startup : Excel
If the QI Macros menu does not appear in the Excel ribbon, after install, make sure the Gallery of Templates is disabled, when opening Excel.
To turn off the Gallery of Templates, go to Excel: Preferences:
and deselect "Open Excel Workbook Gallery when application opens."
Once you have disabled the Gallery, COMPLETELY quit out of Excel and reopen - the QI Macros menu will be located in the Excel ribbon.
If you tried to manually load the QI Macros menu, using the instructions at the top of this page, Excel might be blocking the add-in from loading. To check, select the Excel drop-down menu and choose Preferences > Security > Macro Security - Change the Security setting to "Enable all macros."
Once you have done so, completely quit out of Excel and reopen - do you now see the QI Macros menu?
If not, the QI Macros files are loaded in - Macintosh HD : Users : User : Library : Group Containers : UBF8T346G9 : Office : User Content : Startup : Excel
If there is still no QI Macros menu, or Excel crashes when opening, then you may not have VBA loaded. This sometimes happens if you install the trial and then purchase a key.
Please Note: Only QI Macros versions purchased in September 2015 or more recently are compatible with Excel 2019 for Mac. If your license is older, you will need to upgrade your QI Macros for it to work:
To test if VBA is installed, click on Tools-Options-Record New Macro.
Excel will ask if you want to store the macro in the current workbook, click okay.
Then, click on any other cell in the worksheet. If Excel says it can't record, then you need to reinstall Office with VBA.
Microsoft's directions for reinstalling Office 365 can be found here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Download-and-install-Office-2016-for-Mac-using-Office-365-for-business-2eb5e0ad-eb5f-418c-a476-81be30e6fe4e
This error occurs because Excel cannot find the QITemplates folder of the QI Macros.
Normally, the QI Macros files are loaded in - Macintosh HD : Users : User : Library : Group Containers : UBF8T346G9 : Office : User Content : Startup : Excel
Excel, in its infinite wisdom decided to change Startup to Oppstart (Norwegian), Demarre (French) or whatever in international versions of Excel, but does not populate the StartupPath variable needed to find it. It does, however, populate AltStartupPath:
To make the QI Macros work correctly in international versions of Excel, you may need to:
- Make a new folder - Documents:QIMacros:xlstart
- Move the qimacros.xlam and QITemplates folder shown above from - Macintosh HD : Users : User : Library : Group Containers : UBF8T346G9 : Office : User Content : Startup : Excel to this new folder.
Startup will be in your language.
- Open Excel.
- Change Excel’s Preferences-General:
- At startup open All files in: Documents:QIMacros:xlstart
(Note: It is not a good idea to have this alternate startup directory point to Macintosh HD : Users : User : Library : Group Containers : UBF8T346G9 : Office : User Content : Oppstart : Excel, as Excel may try to open the file twice.)
- Exit Excel and start it again. QI Macros should appear on Excel's menu and QI Macros will be able to find the QITemplates folder in the alternate startup location.
This error occurs, because the Control Chart Rules file is located in the Excel folder - NOT in the QITemplates folder:
Move the Control Chart Rules file into the QITemplates folder, quit Excel and reopen. QI Macros and all of its components will now be fully available.
Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) was not enabled during the install of Microsoft Excel, or it became corrupted during install or during usage - this is mostly found in Excel 2019 for Mac.
VBA must be installed, in order to use QI Macros. To troubleshoot, reinstall Excel and make sure VBA is enabled.
This error occurs during installation when Operating System permissions are not set up correctly, or if the Carbon Registration Database is corrupted. This is due to either a OS install error or a Microsoft install error.
To troubleshoot this issue, you will need to reinstall Microsoft Excel, as the VBA was not correctly included during initial Excel installation.
If after Excel reinstall, the error message continues to show, this means the VBA has still not been included w/ the Excel install, as the Excel installer has been corrupted.
You will then need to reinstall your OS to have Microsoft install correctly.
This error occurs when your OS is damaged, and therefore cannot access the data available inside the installer, as it is a DMG file.
To troubleshoot this issue, send an e-mail to: email@example.com, and we will send you the manual install files and instructions, as they are not pacakaged in a DMG format.
QI Macros is an Excel add-in and not a separate application. With that, visit the following link for detailed uninstall instructions.