Lean Six Sigma FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About Lean Six Sigma
- Isn't Lean Six Sigma just for manufacturing? I hear this question a lot. The short answer is no.
Every business makes mistakes and creates defects. There's often too much variability in the time to deliver the product or service. And too much variability in the product or service itself. I have personally worked with healthcare, manufacturing, banking, telecommunications and information systems. So look at the North American Industry Classification system (NAICS) and you'll find every type of industry to which Lean Six Sigma can be applied. If you aren't in one of these industries, you are probably confused.
- Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting
- Mining, Quarrying, and Oil and Gas Extraction
- Wholesale Trade
- Retail Trade
- Transportation and Warehousing
- Finance and Insurance
- Real Estate and Rental and Leasing
- Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- Management of Companies and Enterprises
- Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services
- Educational Services
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Other Services (except Public Administration)
- Public Administration
- Why do I need to learn Lean Six Sigma?
Because trial-and-error, gut-feel and common sense problem solving stop working at a 3% error rate. In most cases I have found that, sooner or later, your customers or competitors will force you to learn Lean Six Sigma because customers want better quality products and services faster than ever before. You don't want to be playing catch-up because you will never catch up. American auto manufacturers still haven't caught up to Toyota. Learn how now. Be a leader not a follower.
- How much training do I need?
- If you are in a service industry, you will only need the one-day training in my Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt course.
Learn for free, right now at www.lssyb.com.
- If you work on a manufacturing factory floor making a physical product, I recommend that you take Green Belt or Black Belt training.
- If you work in manufacturing, but mainly in sales, marketing, ordering, invoicing, purchasing, payments or customer service you are in a service job! You only need my one-day training.
- Do I need to be a "belt"? No, unless you just want to fatten your resume. You just need to learn how to use the methods and tools to save time, save money, save lives and boost productivity and profitability. Be a MoneyBelt!
- Do I need to know math and statistics? No.
QI Macros will do all of the math and statistics and help you interpret the results. You just need to learn what patterns you are looking for in the results. We have many free videos and training resources to help you do this.
- How is Six Sigma different from statistical process control (SPC)?
SPC is an essential part of the fifth step of DMAIC - Control. SPC is about measuring and monitoring production to spot and correct problems. It doesn't include the first four steps of Six Sigma.
- Can't we just do Lean?
You can, but Lean will only help you simplify and streamline the process. It will help you remove unnecessary delays and help reduce defects, but it won't help optimize the process to eliminate defects and deviation. You will need Six Sigma to fully optimize your process.
- How is Six Sigma different from TQM? It uses DMAIC instead of PDCA. It focuses on improving the bottom-line. If you know TQM, you'll easily learn Six Sigma.
- Do I need Big Data to do Six Sigma? No. You only need small data. Pareto patterns are readily observable in a smaller sample of data.
- Don't I need my CEO's commitment? You do if you want to spend a lot of time and money. I discourage Big Six Sigma implementations. Why? Because it's usually about training lots of belts and lining consultant's pockets. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get started with Lean Six Sigma.
People who ask this question are often just looking for a way to avoid learning Lean Six Sigma.
Is Lean Six Sigma Right for You?
If you want to start solving problems and getting results immediately;
If you want to delight customers, aggravate competitors and increase productivity and profitability;
then start now, where you are, with my Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt training. The training is free. I only charge for certification.