Ishikawa Fishbone Diagram Types
There are many ways to use the Ishikawa diagram. You can analyze root causes using the classic format, step-by-step format, or a custom format. An Ishikawa or fishbone diagram always contains:
- The head of the fish (problem statement)
- One or more major "bones" or causes
- A series of smaller "bones" coming off the main bones to show the "Five Whys" used to identify the cause-effects.
Classic Fishbone Diagram
People, process, machines, materials, and measurement are the major causes.
Process Ishikawa Diagram
Each step of the process is a major cause.
Custom Ishikawa Diagram
Use the generic categories but adapt them to your process: service representative, service order, software systems, reference manuals, and access.
The final product might look like this:
- Fishbone Analysis - Five Whys to Get to the Root Cause
- Automated Fishbone Diagram in Excel
- Love Bug Diagram for Root Cause Analysis
Why Choose QI Macros Over Other Six Sigma Software?
Fast and Easy to Use
- Works right in Excel
- Create charts in seconds
- Easy to customize & share charts
- Free Training Anytime
Proven and Trusted
- More than 100,000 users
- In More than 80 countries
- Five Star CNET Rating - Virus free
- Only $349 USD
Quantity Discounts Available
- No annual subscription fees
- Free technical support