PivotTable Wizard for Excel
It's Easy to Create a PivotTable Using QI Macros Wizard
If you are like many Excel users, you struggle with creating PivotTables in Excel. However, PivotTables are a valuable tool that every quality improvement professional should learn know how to use. QI Macros makes creating PivotTables easy. Here is how.
- Perform some basic data cleanup on your "flat" transaction files like the one below:
- Make sure each column has a distinct heading.
- Check for misspellings or inconsistencies in your data. For example, Hosp1 and Hospital 1 will be treated as two different values by Excel. Use Excel's Find and Replace function to make these consistent.
- Next click on one to four columns of data to select them. These columns will be included in your PivotTable. In the example below, we selected four columns of data (region, entity, admit date, and charges).
- Next click on the QI Macros menu, and select the PivotTable Wizard in the Data Mining section.
- Based on the frequency of values in each column, the QI Macros PivotTable Wizard figures out where to place each slice of data and automatically creates a PivotTable for you.
- These pivot tables can then be grouped by date or rearranged as required.
- Once you have the data view that makes sense, you can select data right from the Pivottable and draw charts using QI Macros. In the example below, select the cells highlighted in yellow to create a Pareto Chart and the cells highlighted in blue to create a control chart.
Warning for Excel 2016 Professional Plus Users
Unfortunately, the PivotTable Wizard is not functional in Excel 2016 Professional Plus, as this version of Excel does not respond to VBA code pertaining to PivotTables.
While we are currently awaiting a fix from Microsoft for this issue, note that all other functionality and tools found in QI Macros, except for the Data Mining Wizard and Word Count tool, are compatible with Excel 2016 Professional Plus.