Run Chart Template in Excel
Run charts consist of a graph of your data and an average or median line.
Here is an example of a run chart created using the QI Macros Run Chart Template.
There are various rules, similar to control chart rules, applied to Run Charts.
- Runs Test (are there enough "runs" for the amount of data?)
If not, "A" will show on top axis.
- Trend of seven points ascending or descending.
If so, a "B" will show.
- Eight points on one side of the median.
If so, a "C" will show.
- 14 points alternating up and down.
If so, a "D" will show.
- Seven points with the same value.
If so, an "E" will show.
If the data violates one or more of these rules, the appropriate letter will appear on the top axis. In this case, two few runs (A), eight points below (B) and a trend of seven increasing (C):