Pareto Chart in Excel
Tired of Struggling to Create Pareto Charts in Excel?
Pareto charts combine a sorted bar graph with a cumulative line graph. Often, two or three "big bars" represent most of the problem (80/20 rule).
If you've ever tried to create a Pareto chart in Excel, you know how complex and time consuming it can be. You have to sort the data in descending order, then calculate a cumulative percentage, then create a column chart and then convert the cumulative percentage to a line graph and put it on a second Y Axis. This can take quite awhile, especially if you don't do it very often. Isn't it time to stop struggling?
I really like the QI Macros. The Pareto chart alone is worth the purchase price.
- Mike Dean, Ellwood Texas Forge
QI Macros Creates a Pareto Chart in Three Easy Steps
- Point - select your Pareto data in an Excel worksheet
- Click – on the QI Macros menu and choose the Pareto Chart
- Analyze and Improve –the QI Macros will do the math and draw the chart for you. Any bar that represents more than 20% of the total will be shaded.
Example of Pareto Diagram Created Using QI Macros
Advantages of Using QI Macros vs Excel to Create a Pareto
Excel Pareto Chart
Creating a Pareto diagram in Excel requires some wizardry
- the creation of formulas for the cumulative line graph;
- the creation of the line-column chart;
- adjustment of the scale of both axes;
- changing the color of the chart.
When you are done you will have a "Pareto chart" that looks like the one below:
Excel's plot area is gray; the bars have spaces between them; cumulative line starts in the middle of the first bar instead of bottom left corner. And you can't read the cumulative percentages off of the line.
QI Macros™ Pareto Chart
It's easy to create a Pareto diagram in Excel using the QI Macros:
- Just click and drag over your data to select it
- then click on the QI Macros menu and Pareto
QI Macros will perform the calculations and Excel formatting and will draw the Pareto for you.
Bars touch; bars over 20% are highlighted with color; axes are scaled correctly; cumulative percentages are shown on the line graph.
Compatible with Excel 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2011 (Mac)
I have purchased your QI Macros and now amaze my friends and co-workers with the ease and speed of my Pareto charts and other stats.
— Bob Miller, Training Manager, SETECH, Inc