Box and Whisker Plot Maker in Excel
What is a Box Plot? How Can You Easily Create One in Excel?
Box and Whisker Plots (Box Plots or Boxplots) are like simple histograms turned on their side. Use them to analyze the variation between data sets (i.e. the values of the median for each set compared to the others) or the variation within a dataset (i.e. how big is the box and how long are the whiskers).
Box Plot Elements Explained
- The box represents the distance between the 1st and 3rd quartiles--the InterQuartile Range (IQR=Q3-Q1).
- The whiskers are 1.5*IQR or the highest / lowest point within the range.
- Outlier points are those that are greater than 1.5*IQR.from Q1 or Q3.
- If the box is all gray, then there is no difference between the 1st quartile and the median.
- If the box is all green, there is no difference between the 3rd quartile and the median.
QI Macros Box Plot Generator Creates Plots in Three Easy Steps
Box and Whisker Plots are hard to create manually or in Excel. Use QI Macros to save time and get the calculations right.
- Point - select your boxplot data in an Excel worksheet
- Click - on the QI Macros Menu and choose the Box Whisker Plot
- Analyze and Improve - QI Macros will do the calculations and make a boxplot in Excel.