Excel & QI Macros FAQS
Most Common Questions Asked About Excel
General Excel Questions
- Use Copy to copy your data:
- Switch to another spreadsheet or a blank area in your existing sheet and use Paste Special (Transpose):
- Check the transpose button and you'll get the data transposed:
General Excel Chart Questions
Excel, by default, formats every number as "General". To show the right number of decimal points:
- Select the cells with your data.
- Click on Format-Cells and choose Number.
- Set the number decimal points and click OK.
- Use the QI Macros to draw your chart. The macros key off the cell formats to choose the precision.
Excel tries to make the X axis show actual duration. Microsoft calls this "time-scale" format.
- Click on the Chart pull down menu and
- Select Chart Options-Axes-X Axis and
- Check "Category" instead of Time-Scale
- Click OK.
Alternate: Check to make sure your dates have the correct years. When you enter 12/31 then 01/01, you'll get 12/31/04 and 01/01/04.
You can also convert your dates to text using Excel's TEXT formula shown at the top of this data sheet:
Then just copy your data (e.g., defects) over to the adjoining cells and run the chart using the new labels:
You can't average text values. You must first count or summarize them. There are two Excel tools to help you do this:
- This is great for counting strings embedded in comment fields. In any cell, use the formula:
The "*" acts as a wild card character to match any cell in column A that contains "employee".
- Pivot Table Report
- Select Data-Pivot Table Report and let Excel's wizard guide you to summarize the text any way you want.
Most charts will easily copy and paste into Microsoft Word or Power Point. However, some users have had problems copying the Histogram into Power Point or Word 2007. If you have trouble follow these steps:
- In Excel, select the chart and choose Edit/Copy
- In Word or Power Point choose Edit then Paste Special.
- In Power Point - select one of the Picture Options instead of Excel Chart Object.
- In Word - select Excel Chart Object, jpg or try some of the other options if these don't work.
Sure. Just use the form below to email us a detailed description of what you want. We will evaluate what you're asking and give you a fixed price quote for the work.
We can save you lots of time.