Pareto Chart in Excel
Use a Pareto Chart to Focus Improvement Efforts
The pareto chart combines a sorted bar graph with a cumulative line graph. The bars are placed from left to right in descending order. The cumulative line graph shows the percent contribution of all preceding bars. Often, two or three "big bars" represent most of the problem (80/20 rule).
QI Macros Creates a Pareto Chart in Three Easy Steps
- Point - select your data in Excel
- Click – on the QI Macros menu and choose the Pareto Chart
- Analyze and Improve –the QI Macros will do the math and draw the Pareto chart for you. Any bar that represents more than 20% of the total will be shaded.
QI Macros Pareto Chart Example
Advantages of Using QI Macros to Create a Pareto Chart vs Doing It Yourself in Excel
Excel Pareto Chart
Creating a pareto chart in Excel requires some wizardry
- the creation of formulas for the cumulative line graph;
- the creation of the line-column chart;
- adjustment of the scale of both axes;
- changing the color of the chart.
When you are done you will have a "pareto chart" that looks like the one below:
Excel's plot area is gray; the bars have spaces between them; cumulative line starts in the middle of the first bar instead of bottom left corner. And you can't read the cumulative percentages off of the line.
QI Macros™ Pareto Chart
It's easy to create a pareto chart in Excel using the QI Macros:
- Just click and drag over your data to select it
- then click on the QI Macros menu and Pareto
The QI Macros will perform all of the calculations and Excel formatting and will draw the pareto chart for you.
Bars touch; bars over 20% are highlighted with color; axes are scaled correctly; cumulative percentages are shown on the line graph.
I really like the QI Macros. The Pareto chart is worth the purchase price of the whole deal.
— Mike Dean, Ellwood Texas Forge
I have purchased your QI Macros and now amaze my friends and co-workers with the ease and speed of my Pareto charts and other stats.
— Bob Miller, Training Manager, SETECH, Inc
- Pareto Chart Video
- Create Multiple Pareto Charts at Once
- Summarize Data with a PivotTable and Create a Pareto with One Click