Type 1 Gage R&R Study
Gage R&R Template for Excel Makes It Easy to Run a Type 1 Gage R&R Study
- Typical Gage R&R studies use 10 parts, 2-3 appraisers and 2-3 trials (3x3x10).
- A Type 1 Gage R&R study uses only one part, one appraiser, one gage and 50 trials (1x1x50).
To Conduct a Type 1 Gage RR Study Using the QI Macros:
Open the Type 1 Template and enter the measurements, tolerance and reference value into the appropriate cells. The part must have a known reference value (measured independently to a high degree of accuracy) and USL, LSL or tolerance.
The QI Macros Type 1 template will calculate the capability of the gage (Cg) and bias (Cgk). Values greater than 1.33 are considered acceptable. If values are less than 1.33, the measurement system needs improvement.
So, there, in a nutshell is Type 1 Gage R&R . Your goal is to minimize the amount of variation and error introduced by measurement, so that you can focus on part variation. This, of course, leads you back into the other root causes of variation: process, machines, and materials.
- AIAG Measurement System Analysis Gage R&R Overview
- QI Macros Attribute Gage R&R Study Template
- Gage R&R Destructive Testing
- MSA Gage R&R Study Quick Reference Card (PDF, 204 KB)